Whirlwind of a Summer

It's been a crazy emotional roller coaster ride of a summer. In May, Hooper and I found our dream house. It's big, it has a great backyard for entertaining, a pool, and even a guest house. We worked on getting pre-approved, and put our house on the market. We loved it THAT much. We've gone and looked at houses before, but we've never found one that was really worth the hassle of listing our house and actually moving. But this one was. We got pre-approved, de-cluttered our home, and put it on the market. Having showings was exciting, but it was also a nightmare. I would have to take the three dogs to work with me, and we'd have to keep our house cleaner than we ever have before. We had a lot of showings in the first few weeks, and then they started slowing down. In July, we took our annual family South Padre vacation. It was amazing, as always. It was nice to get away from the stress of showing the house. We hoped that we would have tons of showings while we were gone, because we left it very clean, and the dogs were boarding. One day while we were on the beach, our realtor contacted us and told us that we had an offer. We were so excited, because this meant we were one step closer to getting our dream house. When we found out what the offer was, we were discouraged. It was SUPER low. To make a long story short, we countered, they countered, we countered, they countered, and we accepted. It was still very low. Lower than we wanted to go, but this made our dream house within reach. We put an offer on the house, and they accepted. We were so excited. Part of me was sad that we accepted such a low number for our house. In fact, I felt insulted. But I was so ecstatic to move into the new house, that I didn't think too much about it. We got closing dates, did inspections, appraisals, etc. Both closing dates were set for August 19.

August 1st
August 1st I went to the Gaylord with my girlfriends. We look forward to this trip every year. I was so looking forward to a stress free weekend. Then Friday, literally right after we got into our hotel room, Hooper called me. He said that he heard from the bank and they said that we weren't approved for the amount for which were initially pre-approved. WHAT?!?!!?! How can that even happen??? I was devastated. We were in the home stretch to having our dream house. We had put our house on the market ONLY because of this house. We had accepted a super low price, JUST to get this house. And now it isn't ours. Not only is it not ours, our current home isn't ours either. It's selling. Which means we have to move into my parents' basement. Two adults, two children, three dogs, and a cat. Hooper took it as a sign from God that it wasn't meant to be. I accepted that. Sort of. It's hard to understand His plan sometimes, but I tried very hard to let it be. I continued on the weekend with my girlfriends, only allowing myself minimal sulking. We still had a great time, but I felt like my emotions were up and down and up and down.
August 2nd
The next night (Saturday), Anna (my sister in law aka bff) got a phone call from her adoption consultant. There was a baby born Thursday who needed a mommy and daddy. She asked if Anna and Eddie were interested, and they definitely were. The girls and I were so excited, and suddenly, my sadness for being homeless disappeared. I was getting a new nephew! We were all so giddy and went to sleep so excited.
August 3rd
The next day we came home, and Anna and Eddie flew out to pick up their new son.
August 4th
Monday the papers were signed and it was official. Jude Everett was theirs. But they had to wait to be released from the state to come home. I was so anxious to meet him, and every day felt like it lasted more than 24 hours.
That same day,  Hooper talked to another bank and we got approved for a larger amount than the previous bank came back at us with. We talked about possibly building, and
August 5th
Tuesday we met with a builder. I started to get excited again about the house ordeal. That night I lay in bed and checked my realtor app and saw a new listing. It actually looked perfect us. I went to sleep that night thinking about baby Jude, building, and this new listing. My mind raced all night long and I don't think I ever got into a deep sleep. My emotions were so up and down and all over the place, that I hadn't even had any time to really think much about Fisher's appointment for his abdominal ultrasound and lab work that he needs for his hemihypertrophy that was scheduled for Wednesday.
August 6th
Wednesday rolled around, and Anna, Eddie and Jude were still in the other state. I took Fisher to his appointment, and he hated it. I felt so sorry for him because he hated being restrained for the ultrasound. He also had to fast, and I hate having to make a baby fast. After the ultrasound, we went to the lab and had his blood drawn. That wasn't even as bad as the ultrasound, and it was over before we knew it. The only time Fisher ever gets a sucker is when he gets his blood drawn. Once he got the sucker, he forgot what had happened. That evening, our realtor showed us the new listing that we had our eye on.
August 7th
Thursday we made an offer on it. (Meanwhile, the builder that we met with  was super supportive and sweet and said it was a great house!)
August 8th
The next day I was anxiously awaiting to hear if Anna, Eddie and Jude were coming home yet. We knew if they didn't get cleared Friday, they'd have to stay through the weekend, and we did not want that. I wanted to meet Jude! At 1:00pm I was on my way to lunch with my friend/coworker and I got a phone call from Fisher's Geneticist's office. She had Fisher's results. She said that his ultrasound was clear- there were no tumors seen in his abdomen. (If you are lost on this whole hemihypertrophy and tumor thing, please read my previous posts.) I was so happy to hear that. Then she told me that his lab work (AFP) was high. Last time we had this lab work done, which was the first time we'd had it done, it was high. Normal range for his age is .5 - 7.9. Three months ago it was 11.9. When they are born, the number is very high, and as they get older, it comes down. His Geneticist was hopeful that it was a little high at that tie because perhaps it hadn't made it's way down yet. On Wednesday, the number was 20.9. So it had gotten a lot higher. The AFP lab work is a tumor indicator. The nurse said that the ultrasound indicates there is not a tumor in the abdomen, but that she is referring us to Hematology/Oncology to find out why the number is high. I fought through a lump in my throat and asked, "If the lab work is a tumor indicator, and his abdomen is clear, does this mean he has a tumor somewhere else?" The lump won that battle and I started crying. She had a very sympathetic tone in her voice and said that she doesn't know. We'll be referred to Oncology to find out why the number is high and do further testing. I felt like my world caved in. I had been on such an emotional up and down and I finally broke. What if there is a tumor? Could the lab work be wrong? I don't know. I don't know anything.
We found out that same day that Anna, Eddie, and Jude were coming home Saturday. I was finally going to get to hold that sweet baby.
August 9th
Saturday Mom, Elliott, Beckett, Bennett and I went to the airport to pick them up. It was such a wonderful thing to witness the girls meeting their new baby brother. Meanwhile, we found out that the house we put an offer on had accepted our offer! Our girlfriends and Hooper and Finley and Fisher were waiting at Anna and Eddie's with food and cupcakes and welcome home signs when we arrived It was a beautiful day.

So much has happened over the last couple of weeks. So many highs, and some big time lows. We have an appointment with the Oncologist next Monday, and we close on our current house Tuesday. We will be renting our current house until that Saturday. Sometime in the mix of all of this, I've got to pack. And hold baby Jude some more. I could really use some prayers. Prayers that Fisher is okay. Prayers for strength. Prayers that moving goes smoothly. Prayers that there are no hiccups with our closings. Prayers that I don't break. Prayers that there is not a tumor. Prayers that IF there is a tumor, it's not cancerous. Prayers that if it is cancerous, he will be cured. My mind hates to even go there, but I can't help it. And along with the prayers, Praise God for baby Jude!


Brianne said…
Oh Chelsea.... You have so many friends and family that love y'all! I hope you and your family feel the prayers, love, hope, and support all around you today and in the weeks to come. This path God puts us on sometimes is tough to understand. Have faith. Have hope. And when you can, have fun!
Ask for help when you need it! And know that the Langdons will be praying for y'all!

Popular Posts