Fisher's Nursery

I've been wanting to post Fisher's nursery for a while, but I had to wait on a couple of final things for it to be complete. We designed his nursery before we knew whether or not he was a boy or a girl, but I didn't want to stick with the basic gender neutral nursery look. I still wanted a bright and happy theme, instead of true neutral colors. With a lot of back and forth, I finally decided that red and gray would be perfect. The trick to decorating the nursery for a boy OR a girl was to try our best NOT to go too feminine. I figured that if Fisher turned out to be a girl, we could always go back in and add bows here and there to feminize it a bit. But if we went too feminine from the get go, and he turned out to be a boy, it would be really hard to masculinize it. So I tried my best to keep it gender neutral. Somewhere in the planning process, I decided that I liked the idea of elephants and clouds. The two don't really have anything to do with each other, but I adore the cloud mobile I found on Etsy, and I found a great elephant fabric, so I wanted to make them work. Then I found a great cloud fabric and it all sort of started coming together. Elephants are easy to come by in nursery decor, but clouds are not. Luckily, my mom found the cute book ends that brought more clouds into the look. The guitar came from Finley's nursery. We just took her fabric off and replaced it with Fisher's. Guitars aren't really the theme of his nursery, but the wall needed something, and it has a little bit of sentimental value since it was in Fin's room. Not to mention his daddy plays the guitar. Speaking of Fin's room, all of the furniture is from there. There was absolutely no need to purchase new nursery furniture when we already had it all. I was very close to painting the crib red, but decided against it. As far as who made what, it breaks down like this: Mom and I did his name in the frames with fabric. (All fabric came from Cabbage Rose in Ft. Worth.) My mom made the cute elephant fabric pictures. She also made his curtains, the bench seat, and most of the pillows. She and I glued fabric around cardboard to put in the back of the shelves. One of my mom's dearest friends made the quilt and the awesome round pillow. Hooper did the guiltar. And Finley and Mom made the gray elephant/handprint framed art. (It's Fin's handprint, and mom drew the elephant details.) On the same shelf as the elephant handprint, there's a cute Daddy doll that Hooper's coworker/friend gave Fisher, a vintage camera, and a metal guitar man that I got for Hooper a long time ago from Pier 1. This little shelf area is sort of an array of Fisher's family, I suppose. A little something about me, Fin, and Dad. For a long time I wasn't sure what to do above the changing table. That was actually what the holdup was for the completion. I finally decided on a canvas of Fisher himself, but there was still a blank area left on the wall. I looked around on Pinterest for ideas above a changing table, and finally came across an idea of baskets. The next hiccup was finding the baskets. I couldn't find the right ones that I had in mind ANYWHERE. And then finally my mom found some. Hooper hung them for me, and I put diapers, burp cloths, and a cute knitted elephant that was a gift from a dear friend in them. I go back and forth on whether or not to add a rug to the room, but for now I like it as it is. He isn't sleeping in his room yet, but he has taken some naps in his cribs, and I feed him in the glider a lot. Even when he's not in there, and the whole house is napping, I find myself sitting in the glider. It's a very happy room, and not to mention the cleanest room in the house. :)












Comments

Popular Posts